SailNet Community - View Single Post - another "which one is better for us?" thread: H25, Catalina 25, S2 28...
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013

puddlejockey is on a distinguished road
another "which one is better for us?" thread: H25, Catalina 25, S2 28...

Hi Folks,

New guy here, so be gentle and forgiving if I ask ( or when I ask) a dumb question!

My wife and I have decided to get into sailing this year; She's only been out a few times in various boats (Sea Pearl tri 22, Hobie 16, and a 60 foot Cat in the BVI's that involved laying around and drinking for 10 hours..) ; and I sailed some as a kid aboard my Dad's H34. Functionally, we're both total newbies, and plan on taking some lessons this Spring.

We're looking for a manageable cruiser/ daysailer that we can overnight on as a couple, and take up to 4-5 people (total) sailing on Lake Norman her in NC. LKN is a crowded place on the weekends! We'll be keeping it in a wet slip for convenience and socialization purposes.

I'm looking at an 82 Hunter 25 that the current owner bought 4 years ago to learn to sail. It has a newer 9.9 4 stroke , overall the boat looks "okay" but neglected; needs a new depth finder, has no VHF, "probably" needs new running lines, and hasn't had the bottom painted in at least 5years. Its been in the water the whole time. I'm going to down check the standing rigging and look for soft spots this week. I could probably get into that boat for around 3 grand.

Another couple of options that are open to me are an late 80's S2 28, and an 85 Catalina 25. Both of the latter boats have a roller furling gennie and all the electronics, but may also need bottom jobs. Either of these two boats could be had for around 5 grand.

SOOO.....what should I look for in each boat, which overall would be a better potential resale vessel should we opt out and/ or want to upsize; and am I better off spending 3 grand for something that I KNOW is going to need 2 grand worth of updates and repairs, or spending more for a boat that might need them?

My wife loves the looks of the Cherubini (sp) Hunter, but a boat that's sat in the water neglected makes me nervous...

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook