View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Mooring bouys

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by capta
Of course, I doubt that any of these communities give a rat's a*s about cruisers or visiting sailors as we just do not put enough MONEY into the local coffers; like a couple of dozen tour buses a day. Anyway, they've "Got Mine" so screw everyone else!
Maybe there are communities who haven't met the highest standards for free transient accommodations, but the sweeping indictment of New England communities as uncaring is off the mark.
Agreed, I continue to be favorably impressed by how welcoming a place like Newport remains, for a cruiser like me, on a generally modest budget...

I tend to avoid the busy spots anyway, but I'm hard-pressed to recall the last time I took a mooring anywhere in New England... In the Thorofare at Isle au Haut, Monhegan, that's about it... Sure, in a place like Nantucket, the anchorage can be challenging and inconvenient, but certainly do-able...
One thing that certainly helps in many places - shoal draft, which will permit one to anchor on the periphery of mooring fields, in places like Cuttyhunk...

Thanks for the excellent replies on destination moorings from Maine Sail, and TomMaine, btw... Good opinions from guys who really know the area...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook