SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mooring bouys
Thread: Mooring bouys
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road
Re: Mooring bouys

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Agreed, I continue to be favorably impressed by how welcoming a place like Newport remains, for a cruiser like me, on a generally modest budget...

I tend to avoid the busy spots anyway, but I'm hard-pressed to recall the last time I took a mooring anywhere in New England... In the Thorofare at Isle au Haut, Monhegan, that's about it... Sure, in a place like Nantucket, the anchorage can be challenging and inconvenient, but certainly do-able...
One thing that certainly helps in many places - shoal draft, which will permit one to anchor on the periphery of mooring fields, in places like Cuttyhunk...

I agree Jon. We make regular trips to Southern New England and never have a problem anchoring in Cuttyhunk, Tashmoo, Edgartown, Ptown, Nantucket, well, pretty much anywhere we want to go as long as weather allows in some of the more exposed anchorages.

Last time we visited Newport, we anchored for 3 days off the Ida Lewis YC(I'm not sure we were supposed to,...) and had ready dingy access. We had a blast watching Newport go by.

Our centerboard gives us a few great options like Cuttyhunk, anytime we want to visit(so far). We'll also pick up moorings in some places like Menemsha(inside in September, no problem), Nantucket if weather goes bad(no problem so far there either).

Best of all, there is nowhere on the east coast that is any more accessible on your own boat than southern New England we've found. You're often surrounded by public beach and landing options. No nasty DON"T ANCHOR signs anywhere. The shoreline is as accessible as Maines.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook