Thread: Mooring bouys
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
Re: Mooring bouys

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC View Post
I think we need to be careful of too vigorously proclaiming our property rights to our moorings. I have one. I paid for the tackle and inspections and such. I understand that I own my stuff. Remember that mooring permits in New England range between 30-200 dollars a year. The actual value of those mooring permits could legitimately be increased to the value of a Martha's Vineyard beach key for most southern New England harbors. A hundred dollar mooring permit in a desired Mass. harbor is probably worth in the tens of thousands of dollars to those that afford to pay it. Without courtesy and accommodation along the lines suggested by Rob Gallagher in his posts, there will be pressure and it seems to me that pressure will mean municipalities who are being asked to police people's moorings and hire staff to do it, will raise the cost of mooring permits to their true values. Once I've paid 20,000 for a mooring permit, then maybe I can understand the "it's my property" argument. Right now, we're being subsidized pretty heavily by the public, who expect us to be courteous about it, I think.
It's not often, in this lifetime, that someone agrees with me.

Be nice. It pays off in the long run.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook