SailNet Community - View Single Post - Florida Sailing School and Vacation 2013
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013

alex_sauvage is on a distinguished road
Re: Florida Sailing School and Vacation 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogymon View Post
Any testimonials for a school that may fit my situation?

Would like to combine Sailing School Course(s) with 2 weeks R&R in Florida.

Owned a couple freshwater trailersailers last 10 years. Crewed since a boy.

Maybe buying a 27-30 footer and would like to charter Caribbean someday.

St Pete's seems like a good spot. I am going single-handed and don't want too

too basic of course but I could suck it up . Would like to check out snowbird

liveaboard opportunities as well.

Thanks
I just took ASA 101-104 with Simply Sailing out of St. Pete in December. Had a great time: nice boat (Hunter 36, 2006 , in great shape), one on one tuition, instructor was great. I was pretty much in the same situation as you: had quite a bit of experience sailing, but wanted ASA certification (that is pretty much mandatory now in the Med) and experience handling bigger boat. I have "challenged" ASA 101 (just took the exam, and if you been sailing for a while it's all easy) and then took ASA 103, 104, which is cruising, some navigation, mooring, well you know. Now, those 2 courses only take ~5 days, so if you want to spend 2 weeks, you can probably either add ASA 105-106 or just charter their boat for another week. PM me and I will send you contact information for my instructor: he was really nice guy, in his 60 and knows a lot about boats. Disclaimer: I have no connection with Simply Sailing, except being a satisfied customer, and I myself had a hard time finding any information regarding sailing schools in Florida (at least Mid-West part of it)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook