SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anyone make their own jackets etc.
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Anyone make their own jackets etc.

David, I try to shop around at the end of the year clearances, when lines are bing changed and last year's color goes for cheap.

DIY on foulies could be a major task. The fabrics, whether you want gen-you-whine GoreTex or anything else breathable, are probably available SOME where. The patterns, with storm cuffs and a good collar and hood? Well, you can make your own pattern, start with cheap poplin or canvas and mock it up.

Then of coure there's the sewing. Even if you are that good on that complex a shape (and I'm told that the crotch on men's pants is the hardest thing to sew properly, stick to kilts) if you want to stay dry you also need to tape and seal the seams, all of them. Another good trick, locate the right adhesive and tape.

Dunno, I'd think buying a risky bargain on Gen-you-whine GoreTex for China, where Gore says they don't sell it, would be a whole lot less painful.

I wait like a vulture for the sales, and for the sales at the camping/hunting outlets.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook