SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anyone make their own jackets etc.
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Anyone make their own jackets etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post

I have acquired a bunch of expensive gore-tex items over the last 25 years which i continue to nurse along as they work better than anything else

If for example you go to Target and look real careful you can find Poly Pro/wool base layers for 20 cents on the dollar and its what keeps you warm anyway

To be honest there is NO membrane or series of base and mid layers made that can pass the amount of moisture i generate when active and i ALWAYS get wet from the inside out

For my sailing i make due with some mid level west marine stuff
Tom, I love ya, man, I respect your workmanship, I admire your advice, but....
You're wearing tights. That just ain't right unless you are drawn by Stan Lee.

I do agree that $900 will buy a wardrobe. I have a perfectly serviceable West Marine "Third reef" jacket and bib overall pair that I have worn through five years of three season sailing and when shoveling snow in -10 degree weather and has been comfortable and effective.
For less than $300 on sale.
My boots have leaked more than the pants or jacket have, and with the conditions-appropriate layering underneath, I can gear down or gear up as conditions require without losing windbreaking or waterproof performance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook