SailNet Community - View Single Post - Unleashing Womens Potential in Blue Water Sailing
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013
Vagabond in Training

Livia is on a distinguished road
Re: Unleashing Womens Potential in Blue Water Sailing

While we were prepping for cruising I was in charge of gear research and installation for the last two years while my husband worked full time. I had a proportionally small but unfortunately highly memorable conversations like the author of the article referred to. Everything from them telling me outright that I didn't know what I needed (which was always possible, for anyone, but in this case they were wrong) to being asked "What did he send you in for?" when I walked in the door.

Once when I was on the phone with a store trying to get them to understand that I wanted a certain type of battery box even though it wasn't the correct box for my size of battery, my husband Carol looked at me and said "I can't believe his is talking to you like that. He would never say that to me." I mean, come on, I can use a tape measure. It's not rocket science. By the way, you may find it funny (or disturbing) to note that when my husband picked up the boxes on his way home from work the employee had put in the order for the ones he insisted I needed, not the ones I asked for. My husband looked at him and said "I'm not going home with these." HA! I love him.

It didn't bother me other than a raised eyebrow or a quick swearing session on the way to the car. I'm only bringing it up to validate her point that it does happen. And to be fair, the vast majority of time the people (men or women) working in the store were very helpful, politely correcting me when needed, and generally pleasant. In fact, they seemed excited to talk to anyone with good boat questions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
//
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
//

Last edited by Livia; 01-02-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook