SailNet Community - View Single Post - Just beginning to shop around... would love feedback/ideas...
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road
Re: Just beginning to shop around... would love feedback/ideas...

Hi all. :-)

It's been awhile since I've posted an update. Just passed my 1 year anniversary aboard, and still loving it!

Although I'm trying to keep my living space sparse, I broke down and picked up a little wire shelf unit to house my computer/monitor etc. I dropped the dinette table and picked up a twin foam mattress from ikea. I'm using the dinette cushions as a couch back, so to speak. Remember the old daybeds from the 60s? The setup is something like that.

As for outside and winter? Or, in our case, rainy, cold weather? I replaced the white tarp tent with a clear 10x12 vinyl tarp from mytarps.com. I installed a tarp zipper on that thing too. So, now my cockpit is like a mini sunroom during the day. The temperature differential is quite noticeable, so I can keep the companion way open during the day, which I didn't do last winter. The tarp also keeps the condensation off the cabin while allowing for ventilation. So, my boat is staying quite toasty and dry.

All things considered, I feel pretty lucky. I have a neighbor who moved aboard a few months ago. I was lounging out on deck during one of our downpour days, watching her try to make a makeshift tent, so I wandered over to offer a hand. As it turned out, her boat was leaking like a sieve, the whole headliner had rotted out and her vberth became water logged, so she ended up having to couch surf at various friends' houses. I think she finally gave up the liveaboard bit, as I haven't seen her around for well over a month.

As for serious boat projects? I haven't really done much of late. Have been spending most of my time coding. Writing wild-hair iOS apps. Though, I did take a break over the holidays to just veg and read, watch movies, that sort of thing.

Anyway, that's my mini-update for now. Importantly. Happy new year, all! :-)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook