SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or fin keel?
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: German Yacht Magazine Article on Full vs. Fin Keel

This was what was in question, this statement of yours:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceGTX View Post
Whoa.. a 30i is a particularly tender boat??? Clearly it is representative of a stiff production boat of the 30 foot size compared to the others.
Sorry.. you are wrong.

Bryce
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Sure, you are right as usual
The Jeanneau 30 has a B/D ratio of only 24%, the Jeanneau 33i has 32%, the Benetau First 30 has 29%, Dehler 29, 37%, Dufour 335 has 28%, Hanse 325 has 29%, A31 has 40%, the Elan 310 has 28%, Delphia 31 has 33%, Benteau Oceanis 25%, Bavaria 33 26%.

Most of these boats have or more draft or more modern and efficient keels that will make the difference in RM even more meaningful. To my knowledge there are no other 29/33ft as tender in the market as the Jeanneau 30.
and you say now about that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceGTX View Post
Makes sense as I only post when you are wrong.

B/D can only be used as a measure of stiffness when the hulls are identical and the weight is proportional the same. Clearly not the case here.

... I suggest you learn a bit about what stiffness means.
Bryce
Here you have the hull of the 30i:

Here you have the hull of the 33i:

The Displ/lenght ratio is: 162.7 to 169.6

The very small difference in displacement/length has to do more with the much bigger B/D of the 33i then with any difference in the hull type or keel type. Both boats are even designed by the same NA.

Clearly it is the same kind of hull, the same kind of keel, the same kind of Displ/Lenght ratio.

How difficult is the check the data before posting?

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook