SailNet Community - View Single Post - sailing BVIs in February for a week
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013

Saltydog60 is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: sailing BVIs in February for a week

Let me start with saying 'You cannot go wrong!'

If the weather is fine ---- and it most frequently is gorgeous! ---- then it is full of beautiful pleasures.

My favorite area is ....everywhere! ...... Seriously.

That said, anchor or grab a buoy off of Jost van Dyke and go to "Foxy's" --- a bar. DO PASS GO and do NOT ! have a drink ----- or two ---- or th-ph-ree!!! Very GREAT and potent drinks! BUT, DO walk to the right as you face "Foxy's" on the trail to the spot where there is a sensational ocean water 'hole' ---- a sandy area where the waves crash in over the rocks and give you a life-time-memory of nature and beauty. Awesome spot!

Have dinner with Eunice at here spot at Little Jost Bay. She hails on 9 and 16. She pronounces her name as "Eu - nice - cie" (you - nice - sea) That's how she pronounces her name. Seriously. Call in by 3 to 4 PM and decide what YOU want for dinner. She'll shop it and it will be GREAT! Also, her drinks are potent! She will have someone pick you up from your transom in her Dink and bring you in and back......so......you may have ONE of her drinks. She's such a nice person and her cooking is fabulous! ONE lobster is so huge that two can easily share one.

At The Bitter End you can have a very pleasant dockage.

Peter Island is way too expensive. Been there a couple of times. Skip it!

SCUBA the Wreck of the Rhone. GREAT! It lies 85 feet down so snorkeling is not worth it.

Nanny Cay is a 'hoppping' port.' Lot's of action. The bathrooms there for mariners are ---- seriously! ---- gorgeous! Japanese - style black slate. Really gorgeous!

Just go where ever you wish. Everywhere is lovely.

DO be sure to walk through the caves at "The Baths" on Virgin Gorda.
Very worthwhile experience.

Take a cab from V. Gorda (and return pick up) to the restaurant in the trees. (Can't recall it's name.) Great food. Great music. Great drinks AND cool setting UP in the trees.

Get the calendar like "Cruising Guide to the Virgin Islands." Very good aerial photos of the harbors and their shoals.

Pay attention to buoys. They need to be minded to avoid hitting the rocks under the surface. Especially at the entrance to Nanny Cay. Stay in the channel.

I'll be sailing from 26 March to 4 April is you know of some one(s) who may be interested in signing on as a share-paying crew member. Could set up other dates in addition.

I am very experienced as a Skipper. I've done the US and the BVIs a couple of times before. I'll be in St John from 27 February to 9 April. Sailing 26 March to 4 April. SCUBA C-carded, too.

Give me a call, if you wish to network. I have a couple of slots available up in Maine (Northeast Harbor --- Bar Harbor ---- Mt. Desert Island and Pennobscot Bay) in July on an often - privately - chartered Hinckley 41. I am looking to be out around the third week of July. I'm somewhat flexible. Also, I will be sailing Goreme in Turkey soon ---- October and in New Zealand, too.

Rick 617-903-0132 Boston

Last edited by Saltydog60; 01-03-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook