SailNet Community - View Single Post - Orientation for Composting Head?
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013

jslade8581 is on a distinguished road
Re: Orientation for Composting Head?

So, this is probably more than you want to know, but, here goes. Everyone pees sitting down on Zephyr, which helps ensure that urine goes directly into the pee holes. If a little goes into the barrel, no biggie. As long as you're not drenching the peat, it won't really have an effect anyway. But, having everyone sit down seems to work well for us.

Also, at the end of a sailing day, I'll usually empty a little water down the pee holes just to make sure the urine is "flushed". Then I wipe out the bowl with a clorox wipe. Easy easy.

As for comparisons with a marine portipotti... We had a normal marine head before, and you can read the horror that I found when I tore that thing out. I was always disgusted by that thing. The composting head is very clean, and very easy to maintain. It never seems "gross" to me.

** Edit: I wanted to also add that getting rid of the sanitation hoses and ripping out the holding tank really helped clean up the air in the boat too.

"The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears or the sea."
- Isak Dinesen

Last edited by jslade8581; 01-03-2013 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Adding more information about clean air!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook