SailNet Community - View Single Post - Orientation for Composting Head?
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Orientation for Composting Head?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Superior Sailor View Post
So what makes the Porta-Potty disgusting,and you think a new Composting Head won't be? Isn't that up to operator error? ........Dale
Well to start with the Porta-Potty is a wet mix of urine and feces along with a "deodorant" liquid that is just about equally gross. A composting Head that is operating correctly will have almost odor, and certainly less messy than emptying a Porta-Potty for sure. The thought carrying a sloshing Porta-Potty is scarey thought to me. While the bucket from a dry composter will be like a bucket of dirt especially if it has not been just freshly used, but even if it has if it is well turned in it will not be like there is a fresh pile on top. The bottle of liquid waste has a nice screw on top to make the trip up the dock pretty worry free. Also dumping a Porta-Potty (and most marinas I have been to explicitly do not allow you to dump them in the bathrooms) is a very delicate process, don't want to spill that all over.

So the big difference is the separation of liquid from solid. While I agree that a freshly used one is not really composted yet, it is still quite biodegradable so I have no issue with throwing it in a dumpster in a bag. Heck I looked at using a composting toilet system in a house I was looking at as it was very cheap due to the fact that it had a failed septic tank and no room on the property to put a proper septic tank and leach field. The house was located right on the river, so it was closely environmentally watched. But I was looking at one that dries the liquids out and dumps into a larger centralized collection container.

Last edited by miatapaul; 01-03-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook