Planning for summer vacation. Our thoughts are to leave SE Florida and head to the Bahamas around the 4th of July. The cruise would be the weekends bookending the holiday...and the week between. That would be a total of 9 days total, but would need to include time to and back from the Bahamas, as we keep the boat in Fort Lauderdale. We would be joined by 1-2 couples.
Our boat is a Beneteau 343 that is fairly up to date on safety equipment (lifesling, radar, plenty of pfds, EPIRB, a couple of plbs, up to date charts). We do *NOT* have a watermaker aboard, but can hold 120 gallons of freshwater. I have a Honda EU2000 generator and a dinghy with an outboard that uses gasoline, so the plan is to travel with at least 10 gallons of gasoline. My fuel tank is 20 gallons of diesel, but I plan to carry another 10 gallons in jerry jugs...giving us a range of 300+ miles on motor alone, but we plan on sailing a lot if the wind gods provide.
So what I need help with is this:
- Need a list of places to visit - ie "Do bimini, or do the abacos, etc"
- Things to do (ie visit the wreck of the Sapona)
- Approaches to tricky locations/anchorages, etc
2) Things to prepare for
- Locations to provision/fuel while under way
- Recommended cruising guides/books/documentation
- Recommended gov't/regulatory things. I know I'll need a customs decal again (let mine expire last year) as well as a cruising permit for bahamas. Last time I went to bimini, they let me in with a $150 permit for 90 days...has this gone up?