SailNet Community - View Single Post - practicing with sextant on land
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013

fredf is on a distinguished road
Re: practicing with sextant on land

This is a rather old thread but I ran into it while looking for ways to do simple sextant practice sights.

Being a novice I want to use my sextant, on land, and get near instant feedback as to my technique. I am not particularly interested, at this point, in generating LOPs or even doing more than 1 sight at a time. My goal is to hone my sextant skills without the associated complicating factors of the computations. I found:

TeaCup Navigator by Roger Farley ( I am new on this site so cannot post a link) is a a free PC based navigational app with a bunch of problem solving sub-apps useful to a sailor. What I am finding extremely helpful is its Sight Planner in which one can view the azimuth and (most useful) the elevation of sun, moon, planets and major stars visible in the local sky. One can then compare the sextant data with the sky object data from TeaCup for that moment. I also measure, with the sextant, an arc distance between 2 sky objects and, again, compare the readings to the data from the Sight Planner. Quick and easy!

Of course, after I acquire a bit more dexterity, I shall use TeaCup Navigator to crunch the data to derive a position.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook