SailNet Community - View Single Post - Perkins 4.108M DIY Rebuild -- A Narrative
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Re: Perkins 4.108M DIY Rebuild -- A Narrative

Today's Installment:

Chapter 5: Hitting the Road.

Sorry that this post has no pics -- I'll do the upload & cross-link kibuki dance in future installments.

I've been trolling the internet looking at alternatives for overhaul kits and other parts. I sent e-mails and/or made phone calls to promising leads, and here's the gist:

o Several "authorized Perkins dealers" failed to respond to e-mails to the "contact us" address on their websites.
o Foley Engines also never responded (no shock there, and frankly saved me from having to seriously consider them as a supplier.)
o I did get a response from a local Perkins outfit. They don't stock kits per se, but would send me all of the parts a la carte -- estimate was $1774 + shipping. To be fair, this also included an oil pump (at $510), but still a little steep.
o E-bay outfits have kits in the $600-$800 range.

I elected to go with the reliable Trans Atlantic Diesels. Since they are (almost) local, I decided to drive down last Friday and actually put a face to a name. Sheri Moon and I have exchanged many e-mails over the last couple of years, and while she's been exceptionally helpful I've only once actually pulled the trigger to buy a couple of minor things from them.

Besides the latent guilt, I also was interested in seeing what gems their parts boneyard might surrender. I've got a couple of parts that while relatively serviceable, could stand to be replaced.

Anyway, I took a day away from the garage to make a road trip.

In addition to the overhaul kit, I was also looking for a couple of other things:
-- Freeze plugs.
-- Expansion washers to reseat the combustion chamber inserts.
-- 10-tooth Damper plate for our Hurth HBW 100-2R gearbox. While my current one works fine, the springs are just starting to become a little loose. Since I've already got everything disassembled, it makes sense to pop a new damper on and keep the original as a spare.
-- And from the boneyard, a front plate and a timing gear cover, both of which are showing their age and aftermath of exposure. The rust damage to the timing plate is mainly cosmetic, since there's no damage to the inside or the gasket-side of the rim. The front plate, OTOH, has rust pits extending well into the area that would be under the gasket. Additionally, the bolt hole for the alternator adjusting arm has become both out of round and the arm has worn a significant divot into the face of the plate.

TAD stocks both OEM Perkins and aftermarket rebuild kits. I elected to go with an (MaxiForce) aftermarket kit, which saved me several hundred dollars.

I also picked up everything but the timing cover and the damper plate. They did have a new timing cover in stock, but that one was almost $300. A new 10-tooth damper plate was going to run me almost another $400 -- I think I need to do some more internet shopping.

All in all, I left happy and my wallet only hemorrhaging in a relatively minor way. My guilt about taking advantage of Sheri's good nature in the past has been alleviated.

BTW, on the drive back home I remembered a few things I also meant to at least check on...

Such is life.

Of course, the overhaul kit was just the initial gush of fiscal blood. The hemorrhaging will certainly continue...

Next Up: Anybody Got a Tourniquet?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook