SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or fin keel?
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: German Yacht Magazine Article on Full vs. Fin Keel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceGTX View Post
So I should check a 33 is bigger than a 30???? Who cares?

Paulo.. given that the three boats in question were 31ft, 29 ft and 30 foot.. why in the world would you suggest than anyone would compare these boats to a 33?

Who cares that a 33 is more stiff or faster or whatever.. clearly it is in a different class...
Bryce
Sometimes is difficult to communicate with you. I have said that the modern 30ft they had used for comparison (a Jeanneau 30) was particularly tender, I give as example the 33ft from jeanneau as a boat much more stiff, even from the same line and brand

You said that the Jeanneau 30 was a good example in what regards the average stiffness of modern 30fts and I showed that you were wrong, that in fact I cannot find one as tender and posted the B/D of almost all 30ft on the market.

If that comparison was made with a Dehler 29 or a A31 the results would be very different, not in what regards sea motion but in what regards upwind speed. The main reason of the poor performance of the Jeanneau 30i upwind has nothing to do with being a fin keel or a full keel but with the boat being tender, exceptionally tender.

The better performer upwind on that test was not from the full keel (Vindo 40) but the one of other fin keel, the smaller boat, the Halberg-Rassy 29.

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook