SailNet Community - View Single Post - The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttosail View Post
I'm in my 20's and have not yet started sailing but want to badly. Two reasons I haven't started yet, I have lived in Colorado my whole life (enough said).

After graduating college I immediatly got a good job with my degree and I am still working there five years later. For the last year+ I have wanted to move to the coast and start sailing. What is really holding me back is the fact that I can't get myself to quit my good professional job, its the "American Dream" to be a professional and have a career and lots of money and a house etc. A lot of friends and family tell me I'm crazy that I'd quit my job to be a sailboat bum and follow whatever path the wind would take me.

In other words, some of us younger people with our careers out of college and the money to buy a boat and start sailing are to busy making more money and advancing their career, its time consuming. On the flip side a lot of my college buddies are still working college type low paying jobs and paying off their student debts therefor unable to buy a boat.
In other words, you don't want it bad enough. You want what you have now, more.
And there's nothing wrong with that.
That's why most cruisers are in their 40s, 50s, and 60s.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook