SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or fin keel?
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: Full or fin keel?

I've owned full keeled boats with encapsulated ballast, one off fin keeled with keel bolts, modified fin with bolts . It's been mentioned several times in this thread full keel boats have encapsulated ballast (not always true) which runs the risk of complete ruin in a hard grounding and bolt on keels do not. Given I just spent my kids inheritance on a high aspect bulbed fin keel boat with encapsulated ballast (yes they exist) is there any data to support these statements.?Is this just ancedotal. Would think just like a properly engineered spade rudder can be stronger than a skeg hung one -a properly engineered fin with encapsulated ballast should be as strong or stronger than keel bolted.To the point that the grounding would have to produce whole structure failure of the vessel regardless of encapsulated or bolted. ?Are Shannons and Outbounds lousy boats.
P.S.- right on Paulo -having lived with both beasts unless thin water precludes it's a fin that's a better choice- just like we don't see many gaff rigged schooners being made these days unless we are in Lundenburg and see more solents modern fin keel boats can tract better, sail better and are as safe or safer in bad weather if properly designed and constructed. One post was kind enough to have a link that allowed comparisions.
please keep this thread going
Tx,

Last edited by outbound; 01-04-2013 at 12:23 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook