SailNet Community - View Single Post - Beating to windward
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Re: Beating to windward

Hey,

I can add some real world numbers to this.

I crew on a well prepared early 80's C&C 34 with all sorts of go fast gear: deep keel, rod rigging, faired bottom that is kept clean, 2 blade folding prop, high tech laminated head sails, hydraulic backstay adjuster, crew of 4 or so sitting on the weather rail (in a good breeze), empty water tanks, no anchor on the foredeck, etc.

My own boat is a 1986 O'day 35 with shoal keel, 3 blade fixed prop, dacron sails (headsail is 4 years old), fixed backstay, dodger up all the time, 30lb anchor on the bow, full water tanks, no crew, etc.

The race boat sails at about 32 degrees apparent wind angle. My boat sails at about 40 degrees apparent wind angle.

I have been working to improve my pointing ability and by making changes to the boat I have improved the pointing by about 5 degrees. This year I am planning on changing the rigging and getting the forestay properly tensioned, and adding a new main. I might be able to sail a little higher but I can't trim the headsail in tighter without it hitting the shrouds.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook