SailNet Community - View Single Post - The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013

CarpeAquam is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickPearson26 View Post
I think a lot of you guys are missing one of the greatest reasons why young people aren't sailing - Lack of exposure.
I grew up in a lake house and most every vacation I went on was to the ocean. However, my father wasn't interested in the least (and still isn't) in sailing. Boy Scouts is actually where I first learned to sail, and later fell in love with it through their Sea Base program.

If lack of exposure is the problem, I think there is a lot that can be done to encourage sailing though youth organizations, schools, and community programs. Talk to your local boy scout troops, boys and girls clubs, and schools. Host an event and invite them to come sail!

Who else is going to expose others to sailing if the seasoned sailers aren't doing it?

(Previously posting as LemonHead)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook