SailNet Community - View Single Post - The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
View Single Post
post #304 of Old 01-04-2013
DougSabbag
Captain S/V Triumph

Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonHead View Post
To answer the original question

I'm only speaking for myself, but here is the reason I'm not cruising. I followed my parents expectations and went to a good college. I currently have over $100k in debt and have to work at least 50 hours a week to pay my bills. I can't afford to live on my own, let alone leave my career to sail the world. Luckily, I do have a great career that I enjoy and am able to sail the lakes here and go on occasional vacations while I work towards my (hopefully early) retirement plan of sailing the world.

Nothing useless about that....
As long as a sailboat is seen as a luxury instead of simply an alternative choice, it will be pushed aside by many people on a budget.

We have liveaboard neighbors who pay less per year than a standard apartment costs in Boston.

And they all have jobs.

I know of a place that sells repossessed / salvaged boats for whatever you bid for them: Certified Sales Inc - Liquidation Sales
You can get a nice boat for less than 6 months rent, as long as you're willing to put some work into her.

Happy New Year!
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome