SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or fin keel?
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Full or fin keel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
... I don't think anyone has claimed that the advantage of a full keel is speed. Don't know what "Suhali's are, but I assume they had an ample keel. On any race boat (offshore or otherwise), I think the priority is going to be speed. Not - sea kindness (as you point out), tracking, safety, shallow draft and certainly not durability after running aground. I don't think the OP was asking about offshore racing.
Sea-kindness has not to do with the type of keel but with the hull design and boat weight (inertia). In what regards tracking a well design fin keel can be as good as a full keel and certainly they point better and provide less drag.

Regarding draft, for the ones that need it modern keels offer swing ballasted keels that are very similar in performance with fin keels and offer a smaller draft than full keels.

You call it performance I call it a better sailing boat (a boat that sails better) and that is not important only to racers but to all cruisers.

Regarding durability I don't see why a boat with a fin keel would be less durable than a boat with a full keel.

Regarding being more resistant to grounding I guess you are right even if each case is a case. Anyway take a look at this videos. Do you really think that you need more resistance than this? Take into consideration that is a very light performance production cruiser with a big draft (2.30m). Normally mainstream production cruisers are more heavily built and have less draft.

Skerries boat "Raging Bull" crashes into the rocks during a storm from Silverscreen Media on Vimeo.

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook