SailNet Community - View Single Post - The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013

hannah2 is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

I'm not so sure about the statement that there are not many young folks cruising. We have met many in their 20's and 30's with and without kids everywhere we have sailed in the world. But I must say there are less cruising in North American waters. But in the S. Pacific, Europe, and in high lats there are plenty enjoying the adventure as only the young can enjoy. And most are New Zealanders, Aussy and European. Some of the young are out looking for surfing adventures in distant lands, others are out cruising enjoying different cultures, playing musical instruments with the many talented cruisers and locals. Seems like most young cruisers love to play music.

I couldn't tell you the percent of young cruisers out there, a guess would be 30 %. When I sailed in the early 70's as a 21 year old there were more of us young sailors in distant lands but there were far fewer people living the dream.

We love to invite young cruisers aboard and share our food and beer be it in a port or at anchor, they don't always have a lot. They are so full of adventure and great conversation and most important they seem to always to be happy and content in what they are doing. Please invite the young aboard if you are out cruising long range you will enjoy doing so and they will love the invite.

Last edited by hannah2; 01-04-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook