SailNet Community - View Single Post - Circumnavigators vs Mt Everest climbers
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Circumnavigators vs Mt Everest climbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Making it to the top of Everest with a professional Sherpa team, is like circumnavigating with a professional Captain that was born in the ocean and previously circumnavigated a dozen times.

However, if you asked me which of the two you were more likely to succeed at without any support, it's probably the circumnavigation.

If you haven't read Ed Viesturs' book "No Shortcuts to the Top", I highly recommend it. Ed, if you're unfamiliar, is one of, if not the most accomplished American Mountaineer. He's been on top of Everest a half dozen times, but turned back on his first attempt when he was several hundred feet from the summit. His book is about personal risk management and completely applies to sailing.
Even in what regards the Everest there are several scales. If it is to go to the top without Sherpas and without oxygen very few had done it. The last time our best mountaineer was there, without oxygen, they got trapped by a storm, he lost is friend, lost is nose and half of his fingers and he is among the best have climbed all the difficult mountains.

I don't think it is comparable.

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook