SailNet Community - View Single Post - Opposition to liveaboards
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Opposition to liveaboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
You may well be right about the relative amounts brought in but states ought to make an attempt to proportion taxes fairly. NH has sky high taxes on anything you own, including car, house, boat, etc. They promote the "tax-free" state, which is true...unless of course, you happen to live there. It is very regressive to slap the responsible citizens with a big tax bill so that people can buy cheap liquor at state liquor stores. The overall tax rate in NH is pretty low. There is no income tax, no sales tax. The dollars to provide the financially strapped services like education and law enforcement come from homeowners.
Keep in mind people who liveaboard are home owners, and as you say in New Hampshire, pay property tax.

I will admit one of the reasons I am looking to live on a boat, is property tax, in New York we are paying way to much in property tax and that is why lots of folks are loosing there houses. For me a sub 200,000 house should not be paying more than $12,000 in property tax, and that is upstate and not in the best town. One local town is saying that these are going up 70% a year for the next two years as well. Granted we have some of the best schools in the country, but it is getting crazy and is really due to local government miss handling things.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook