SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why all the fuss about mcgregor 26's
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013
chiefiredog

chiefiredog is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to chiefiredog
Re: Why all the fuss about mcgregor 26's

OK...I am a four year sailing novice that learned on a 19' Hobie Mirage and then purchased a 1992 26S Macgregor due to the ease of traveling from one sailing destination to another with our vessel in tow.I like the shallow draft and the basic sailing prowess that this boat has, given it's common sense/design limitations.I must say however, that while sailing off shore between Jacksonville and Mayport in the Atlantic just this past June 2012, I and my crew encountered a truly unexpected un-forecasted event. My tiller-ed Macgregor with an 8HP Suzuki kicker came in close contact with extremely fast moving storm, moving NW behind and toward us with Black/Blue clouds hanging low on the horizon.Wind picked up to 30+ mph as we put on life vests,snatched the sails down and turned into the wind,8HP wide open. Water was being picked up off of the surface and thrown back at us so hard it felt like being stung by hundreds of yellow jackets or wasps.I would guess the wind was blowing 50-60 mph for a short period of time as the blinding rain and ocean water obscured our vision.We were tossed about as we slowly inched forward making little if any headway. Waves were breaking over the bow and we held on for our lives but never did this vessel not weather the beating she was receiving. Finally in what seemed to be an eternity we passed through the storm or what I truly believe was the outer bands of a waterspout.For the next five or six hours we encountered 8-10 ft seas, huge swells and 25-30 mph cross gusts as we turned slightly to adjust our course as we were blown a little too far North so we headed for the Mayport channel marker bearings on our GPS. The only vessels we encountered were working crafts,one shrimper heading back to port and two huge cargo container ships doing the same.So this Magregor 26S performed way beyond anyone's expectations in these conditions.It was not the most luxurious ride through a heck of a storm, as a more high end vessel might have provided but she got us through with flying colors and saved our lives.Used 1992 26S Macgregor....$6,500 ....used 1992 Suzuki 8 HP kicker...$1,200...returning my two sons safely to port...PRICELESS

Last edited by chiefiredog; 01-04-2013 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Sentences ran together
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook