SailNet Community - View Single Post - Circumnavigators vs Mt Everest climbers
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Re: Circumnavigators vs Mt Everest climbers

While there are some comparisons between climbing and circumnavigating (self sufficiency, gear, sense of accomplishment, etc) I think they are completely different in many regards. With climbing you have a set destination (summit and back) and train extensively to be able to physically accomplish the climb. Your one and only objective is to summit and get back down safely. To summit Everest might be comparable to some of the serious round the world races, but not the average leisurely sight seeing circumnavigation. That in no way diminishes the accomplishment of a circumnavigation, I just think they are vastly different endeavors.
On a side note, I've been to Everest base camp (app. 18,500 ft) and it's a relatively easy (9000' elevation gain, most people suffer some form of altitude sickness, many have to turn around) walk in the park (Sagarmartha Park), but I can honestly say that having been to base, I cannot begin to imagine what it would physically take to go the next 10,000 feet up and back. I'm in awe of anyone that has done it, or even attempted it.
Here is an absolutely amazing site that allows you to explore Everest base camp and the surrounding area.
A 3.8 Billion-Pixel Tour Of Mount Everest : NPR

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook