SailNet Community - View Single Post - Spirit 23 modifications
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013

windyway is on a distinguished road
Re: Spirit 23 modifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by blobaugh View Post
Oh wow! Your new setup looks much scarier to me! Put some thick rubber pads on that thing or your hull will probably be even worse damaged
I have to agree with Blo. A Macgregor is a different hull design. I thought I'd be smart & have a 2 roller design like your original setup (but with better clearance) More support is better right?? NOT ! If you notice when your boat is being winched up (or not if your winch never worked!) The hull actually climbs into the roller,and the roller rolls. The angle of the boat & trailer ARE NOT THE SAME when your loading & launching. Having a hard point to contact, wood, plastic, rubber whatever will mark your hull or worse damage it if there's waves. Anyway I could never get the boat into both rollers when I loaded it up, sure it was after I winched it but once it settled onto the trailer & out of the water it was as much as 2" away! This was NOT good for towing as it put less weight on the tongue. So I went to the 1 roller setup & crank the boat attach point right up to the roller, works much better now. Tip... make sure your boat is floating & not have the keel dragging on the support board.

Last edited by windyway; 01-04-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook