SailNet Community - View Single Post - Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl.
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
Re: Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl.

Happy new year from Smit Island ,MD.
Yea, we're still here, and it's by choice! Really , we're not run aground or stranded or broken down or anything we just like it here. Could be a bit warmer , but eh' it's winter time I wouldn't expect anything different.
For a small community I'm never without something to do. My days are long and I'm busy all the while either working for pay or helping someone for personal satisfaction.
I never really knew before how good it feels to do that. And it just keeps on.
For Christmas we sailed to Tylerton for the evening and checked it out. Had a great time visiting and meeting new folks.They have a very nice basin for the Watermen.
My day starts early here , I get up about 4-5 am stoke the wood stove , then head over to the Harborside grocery for coffee w/ the men, at 7:30 I return to the dock to see of one of the Packet boats on there daily run into Crisfield and see who is going "off Island" I rarely leave the Island. After that it's breakfast,wood cutting/gathering and off to work at whatever I've not finished the day before or some other task abaord the boat. I've been oing a bit of sewing lately,first for myself, and now for anyone else that wants/needs it done.
I've even been shucking oysters, by the bushel, we love eating oysters. This year is apparently a bumper crop and they are quite reasonably priced. We have also been enjoying Pecans,and other fruit and nut s that grow here.
The people are mostly pleasant and welcoming. Our Daughter is enjoying the company of the other children and even has attended the school on occasion. We try to attend and support all community functions and find them quite enjoyable.
But far too soon , I fear, we will have to return to life "ashore" on the mainland.
Sadly we have other previous obligations to attend to.
But we will enjoy the remaining time we have and look forward to returning again.
As for Key West, I guess it will have to wait. We are already in an Island Paradise in our opinion.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook