SailNet Community - View Single Post - Opposition to liveaboards
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013
Captain S/V Triumph

DougSabbag is on a distinguished road
Re: Opposition to liveaboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Keep in mind people who liveaboard are home owners, and as you say in New Hampshire, pay property tax.

I will admit one of the reasons I am looking to live on a boat, is property tax, in New York we are paying way to much in property tax and that is why lots of folks are loosing there houses. For me a sub 200,000 house should not be paying more than $12,000 in property tax, and that is upstate and not in the best town. One local town is saying that these are going up 70% a year for the next two years as well. Granted we have some of the best schools in the country, but it is getting crazy and is really due to local government miss handling things.
Paul, what do you mean that "....people who liveaboard are home owners, and as you say in New Hampshire, pay property tax." ??

Their liveaboard boat is not a "home", it is officially a "luxury".
Many years ago, I was contemplating declaring bankruptcy, but learned that the first thing I would have to sell, was my boat, even though it was my only "home", because it is considered a luxury, not a home.

And no, we do not pay any "property tax". We may pay a sales tax (dependent on the State) when we buy a boat, but that is it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook