SailNet Community - View Single Post - Opposition to liveaboards
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Opposition to liveaboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSabbag View Post
Well, that is a real anomaly. I have been a liveaboard in Cal., Fl., and Ma.
And all of those areas do not relish our presence.

Some States, for instance I think Georgia, has outlawed liveaboards! That is how much it is not welcomed, regardless of any financial realities.
I guess that I start to understand the problem and it seems to me that has not to do with living aboard but to evading tax. For what understood, and please someone correct me if I am wrong, you pay a lot of services in what regards tax on an house and not only the services related with the house.

In Europe the tax on houses are not big compared to US but tax over income are bigger. Schools or roads are not paid with tax on houses but with tax on income. If you rent a house you don't pay tax on the house. Only the owner pays tax over the house.

I don't know what is the better system but it seems to me that there the ones that are living on a boat, if I am seeing this correctly, evade tax that that are paid on the house but that is not directly related with the house (roads, school, Garbage), services that are used by all including liveaboards.

Just trying to understand why liveaboards are not welcome and why this is a hot debate. Please if I am not correct on the assumptions correct me.

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook