SailNet Community - View Single Post - Opposition to liveaboards
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Re: Opposition to liveaboards

Paulo, I believe you are overall correct about the different tax structure US vs. Europe, but there are significant differences between states within the US. Most states charge you a sales tax when you buy the boat; some in addition charge an annual % based on the value of the boat ("property" tax). Some states are more liveaboard friendly than others, and many distinguish between living at anchor (perceived free or nearly so) and living in a marina (where liveaboards pay property tax the way any other renter would, by subsidizing the property tax charged to the landlord or marina owner).

Doug's information about Georgia banning liveaboards is no longer correct. The ruling was always selectively enforced and exemptions were available, now it is legal, you just need to register and prove pumpout.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook