SailNet Community - View Single Post - Opposition to liveaboards
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
Re: Opposition to liveaboards

I am told by the general manager of the biggest marina on Lake Ontario that property taxes are built into the slip fees and that if figured on a per square foot basis, the liveaboards in that marina are paying higher property taxes than all the high end water front condos in the area.

I have lived aboard for 15 years in an upscale yacht club on Lake Ontario and there have always been a few snobs who looked down on the liveaboard community. Occasionally due to the differing political winds in the club it got quite bad with the last two years amounting to harrassment. I got fed up with the political BS and left at end of last season.

Among our liveaboard community over the years we have had a couple of architects, a couple of Air Canada pilots, a curator of the Royal Ontario Museum, A vice president of Ontario Hydro a number of electrical engineers ...... in other words not boat bums and a few very wealthy people who simply chose to live on boats. The boats are clean and well maintained the owners quiet and responsible and the only trouble ever in the harbour came from drunken sailboat racers, not the liveaboards.

I have no explanation for the the way we are looked down upon but it is a fact. It make no difference if you are at an upscale gated private club or a boat bum in Marathon. There is a certain element of society that will always look down on you.
Ignore these people and move on.

Last edited by boatpoker; 01-05-2013 at 11:11 AM. Reason: spelliing
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook