SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bonding
Thread: Bonding
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Bonding

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Told ya !

If you are really interested in this and any other electric issues I highly recommend you visit Captain David Rifkin's website and look under "Documents". His website is a goldmine of clear and concise articles on marine electrical issues.

Dave is a retired nuclear sub commander, corrosion consultant to USCG and USN and one of the top guys in this field. I took one of his seminars a few weeks back and was greatly impressed.
I too have taken courses with David Rifkin and he is excellent. Everett Collier is also excellent.

The problem with this issue is that EVERY BOAT IS DIFFERENT!!!!!!!!!

Articles like the Stan Honey/WM Advisor article do a big disservice to the boating community, IMHO. That article over simplifies and leaves out a lot of pertinent information.

When it comes to things like lightning bonding, AC/DC Earth bond on-board, underwater metals bonding etc. etc. people tend to take only what they want to hear from an article without fully understanding the basis for any of the bond or not to bond arguments.

Our own vessels remains with the seacocks un-bonded, but, I have a bone dry bilge and our boat is impeccably wired compared to 99.5% of the boats out there.

Un-bonding the underwater metals on some vessels can cause major issues yet some boats can be un-bonded and not suffer issues or actually do better. This is why even the "experts" disagree on the topic of bonding. The only real truth is that YOUR BOAT should, at a bare minimum, undergo a full corrosion survey before making any of these changes.

Reading a "one pager" in the WM catalog does not even begin to scratch the surface of giving you even a baseline for understanding marine corrosion. I have yet to see a marina full of boats where a blanket "one size fits all" could be applied without in-depth analysis of each vessels electrical systems..

How many boat owners have, understand or use a Ag/AgCl reference cell? Hell, we can't even get people to install zincs correctly yet the WM Advisor is teling you to "unbond"....? Great.... Go for it......

Without a full corrosion survey I would strongly advise people not heed the overly simplistic advise of the WM article. Unless you have a full grasp of marine corrosion and have done a very, very thorough corrosion survey on your own vessel hold off on any changes until you have a better analysis of your vessel.... You may be very surprised at what you find.... You'd be horrified at what I find.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 01-05-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook