SailNet Community - View Single Post - Taking inflatable PFDs on airplanes?
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road
Re: Taking inflatable PFDs on airplanes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Here's a naive question for you. What do you do with PFDs when you dinghy in? Do you carry them with you, or leave them in the dinghy? If you leave them, do you need to secure them, or are ordinary non-inflatable PFDs enough of a cheap commodity that they don't walk away?

Part of the reason I assumed we would want to bring our inflatables is that they would be easier to carry along on shore. Obviously we would never leave them in the dinghy.
Actually a good question and we put some thought into it. I think the most likely time to take an unplanned swim is when dealing with a dinghy. We sail in an area with very very cold water, we would not make it far swimming with jeans on in that water. We take a black plastic garbage bag with us and leave them in the bag when ashore. It really does just look like a bag of garbage in the dinghy and I don't think anyone would want to dig through it. In areas of higher petty crime, maybe not so foolproof. We have also used cable locks in the past but I like the garbage bag idea.

BTW - The local water police loves to take a cruise through a anchorage area to see if people have PFD's in their dinghy's when in use. Everette WA Police is especially watchful. You don't need to wear them but have them in the dinghy while on the move.

Last edited by kellysails; 01-05-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook