SailNet Community - View Single Post - Paradigm changing boats
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Paradigm changing boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMaine View Post
I guess the game has always been changing. Prior to those, a big design change was Sparkmen and Stevens FINESTERRE. Compared to the fastest ocean racers in the day, it was fat(outrageous beam of 11'+), it's design priority was to be a comfortable cruising boat first, racer second(cruiser/racer). Even worse, it had a centerboard in a stub keel(the owner had shallow water sailing in mind). Some of these features helped it's handicap in the CCA era.

The captain(Mitchell) outsailed the fleet but much was blamed on the new design as it won the Marion Bermuda race, not once, but three seasons in a row.

Then Mitchell went off and cruised it for years. This is one of those designs that looks like it's moving even on jack stands. This is a sistership, FIDELIO, and still competes(via handicap) in classic races today. This is the design that started the run of boats like the Block Island 40, Bermuda 40, Bristol 40, and many others(including my boat, Alden challenger).
Let's not forget Dorade as well - Stephens first design - changed yachts from basically fishing schooners into "modern" yachts. Also gave us the Dorade vent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook