SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another Yanmar Exhaust Mixing-Elbow Question
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013

saildork is on a distinguished road
Another Yanmar Exhaust Mixing-Elbow Question

I recently bought a Caliber 33 with the Yanmar 3GM30F engine. In place of the stock cast-iron mixing-elbow was a custom-made stainless elbow. This elbow was about 7 years old according to the previous owner. By now, the elbow was weeping rust at the welds, and the surveyor recommended replacement before I motor out of the yard next Spring.

I've been reading every thread on the subject and near as I can tell, the stock mixing-elbow probably won't last any longer than the custom elbow, and there are many complaints about the carbon buildup, degradation of the cast-iron, etc. on the stock elbow. Structurally, the stock elbow is apparently baffled at its distal end while the custom fabrication is not; thus the exhaust gases exiting the custom piece are hotter than they would be coming from the stock piece. In every other way, there doesn't appear to be any effect on performance.

According to the yard, the cost of replacing the custom piece with another custom piece would actually be quite a bit less than the factory-built elbow. So, any recommendations from the collected wisdom of SailNetters on which way to go?

BTW, my sailing grounds will be Chesapeake Bay.