SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Contest/Game - Identify this picture

639K views 5K replies 130 participants last post by  obelisk 
#1 ·
It has been a while since I've seen a thread like this - the rules are simple: attempt to identify the location of the last posted picture in the thread. Once the picture poster confirms the first correct responder that person then gets to add a (sailing-related) picture to the thread and the game continues.

Since I'm no good at this type of guesswork my only chance of getting a picture into the thread is by starting it off with the following picture:

(click on picture to expand)​

See less See more
#2,036 ·
tdw's picture is an awesome one! It contains a number of clues (which I can see but not identify) that makes sleuthing possible even for those without any idea of the location; this is the type of picture that makes the thread interesting to follow.

- What looks like inland locks, but the LS AA 3 rescue ship looks a bit overdone for inland waters.
- Deep locks, so a very tidal area
- grass growing on the ground leads one to think that this is a permanent display and no longer used, as do the wooden stairs.
- Background looks like the hills of central Germany
- Streets signs are european standard, but look French or German
- Looks like a very big sailing vessel in the background, with a deep keel so this is probably not central Germany.

So many clues but I have no idea where this could be... Perfect picture for this thread.

#2,038 ·
I think it's a boatyard museum of some sort...the two boats in the foreground are clearly on permanent display, but can't match it to the significant Maritime Museum at Lisbon... But I think we're in that neck of the woods..

Nice to see you pop in, Zanshin!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.