SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchoring Rights
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
John...you're right...but EVERYWHERE that isn't restrictive has these derelicts and one by one the towns respond with their broad brush. The anchoring law is intended to insure safety at sea for vessels in transit...not the right to drop a hook and stay forever for free. Since the derelicts will always try to do that Zfactor is right about the towns needing to do something AND I think, having the right to do so as long as it does not impact OUR ability to navigate and transit safely. The problem is the overly restrictive measures the towns take like Ft. Lauderdale with its' 24 hour rule. Maybe the Feds could come up with a law that says any restriction which is less than 30 days (or 90 days) is in violation. If REAL boaters would get behind something like this, I think a lot of derelicts would be forced out since their boats can't move AND the rest of us would have the time to enjoy a place, spend our money, and move on.
In none of the above do I espouse the view that homeowners "own" their water view but I believe that MOST enjoy the boats but just don't want the hassels that the derelicts bring. You are correct that they DO influence a lot of the poor laws we see today.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook