SailNet Community - View Single Post - Paradigm changing boats
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Paradigm changing boats

To me, boats that initially came out with a different design than the norm, but eventually changed how sailers looked at things. I was reading an article in a local rag yesterday, showed a IIRC 65' Swan that won one of the first V70 style races, still cruises etc with 185K miles under its hull. Shape is very close etc to todays cruisers. Todays new V65 that will be used, will probably be the new shape of cruisers in 10-15 yrs.

One can see this in boats like the Bene first 30, Mumm/farr 30, to a degree the Elan 310/350, Jeanneau sunfast 3200, and bene figaroo also.

The J24 to me is one, as Johnsons did not design the boat to a rule, just to make a fast fun sailing boat. The Cal 40 could also be in this vain to a degree also.

Also, the race rules are allowing certain styles of boats that are more seaworthy to a degree too. A compared to the later IOR models with pinched sterns etc. In the end, it is all good. Easier to sail, comfortable, dry, fast etc.

Then if you look at boats from different area's of the world, you see designs that worked in those weather style environments. Proa's in the S pacific, dugout canoes here in the NW US and SW BC/Canada area, Kayaks in alaska, double enders in the Norway/finland area, wherry in New england........I'm sure I am missing some local designs, but hopefully the reader can add some.

Battle ships styles, how about the Greek ships with a WL longer than the deck so they could ram another boat and tip it over! Lots of interesting how things go

Marty