SailNet Community - View Single Post - Paradigm changing boats
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Paradigm changing boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
I was reading an article in a local rag yesterday, showed a IIRC 65' Swan that won one of the first V70 style races, still cruises etc with 185K miles under its hull. Shape is very close etc to todays cruisers.

Marty
That boat was Sayula and the race was the original Whitbread RTW race. The boat got rolled 360 degrees at least once in the Southern Ocean, came up with rig intact and went on to win.

It was obviously well designed, well built and beautiful but it was a fairly conventional boat for its time. S&S were pretty conservative by then in the context of racing boats - they only had a couple of more years at the top before Peterson, Holland, Frers et.al. took the lead in IOR design.

It certainly wasn't a paradigm shifter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook