Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South Coast Ontario
Thanked 92 Times in 82 Posts
Rep Power: 9
Re: A family day... what do sailors do?
Herer's what we discovered- your experience may vary.
1. Everybody is crew- if everybody has a job, no matter how little, nobody gets bored.
2. Fishing is fun for kids even if they are not catching anything. So let them hang a line off the transom.
3. Have a destination in mind, less than an hour away where there is something for the kids to do. Even if it is just a different beach or a different marina/wharf where they can get ice cream or french fries.
4. Inflatable dinghies are amusement park rides for kids.
5. have a spot for kids to nap.
6. Keep an eye on weather.
7. Accept that somebody is gonna puke and don't make a big deal out of it. keep lots of ginger-related food handy.
8. Go some place you have been before, in comfortable familiar waters- nothing ruins an afternoon like running aground or fumbling a docking.
9. When in doubt, "I Spy" can keep everyone entertained for hours. "I spy a boat with two masts"... "I spy a trawler"
10. Keep binoculars handy- pick up a couple of pairs of sacrificial cheapy binoculars for the kids.
It's 5 o'clock somewhere:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.