SailNet Community - View Single Post - Skookum 34
Thread: Skookum 34
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013

waybad is on a distinguished road
Re: Skookum 34

Hi, I am waybad and have a Skookum 34. The spec that I saw quoted are wrong unless some one did somthing odd. The boat is 34 feet. beam is 10' 10 inch, ballast is 6,000lbs, displacement is 18,500 lbs, Water line is 27' 6 inches It draws 5 feet. It is a full keel, but does not have a cut away forefoot. It just sloops straight to the bottom of the keel at shallow slope. Which makes grounding much safer. Imersion is aprox 1000 lbs down per inch. When loaded down the W/L is 28' plus I have a inboard rig with a 50' mast from waterline. It is sloop rigged, but have the stay for a staysail. It sails well, its comfortable in the ocean, but is not a real light air boat, but it was not designed as a racing boat. I have to reef if winds are steady above 15 knots. I do not have a bow sprit, which I may add someday so I can drive it harder. I sailed in BC Johnston straight with 40 knots of wind triple reef main and storm jib and we were close hauled all day. It was a comfortable ride in 6 foot seas very close to geather over one, under one and threw one. It was a fun day. We were the only boat out their. We felt very safe in this solid built boat. It is heavy boat by todays standard. The stern wave slows this boat down a bit so I can only get 6.2 knots when everything is perfect. I have the original drawings. You can get them from Ed Monk JR.
Good Luck. Later Waybad
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook