SailNet Community - View Single Post - A family day... what do sailors do?
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road
Re: A family day... what do sailors do?

Great question and you have all the ideas I'd recommend after we've coastal sailed with two kids from babies, and still going today at 21 and 22.

But your question intrigues me. I'm assuming you and family may be pretty new to sailing?

If so, I'm thinking how we now take nieces, nephews and toddlers and kids of friends onboard for a day sail. A few extras I'll throw in. I sail for the most problematic and inexperienced onboard. They're the ones I want to see have the most fun. It's a real challenge to me. So watch them like a hawk for any signs of seasickness right off the dock. You as captain have almost complete control over their health.

Stay in protected water. Most kids live from beach to beach we have found(with ours, those beaches were sometimes a hundred miles apart...) But get them on a beach for the bulk of the day to run and play, wear themselves out. Naps come easily and those taken in a rolling vee berth have made more sailors than anything.

For years, we had one drawer full of the remnants(mostly our sons) of toys like cards, legos, dominos(huge with kids, standing them up). You might ask your son for a bag of stuff like that to squirrel away somewhere. Below is the playground, especially for young boys.

And fishing is a real treat for kids. I have a great tip there; take a pair of needlenose pliers and close the barbs on all the hooks.

First, it eliminates the carnage of profusely bleeding fish you try to release(very little kids have very big hearts). Second, kids, with fishing rods whipping around,....nobody goes to the emergency room, and that includes the dad(and granddad).

Last edited by TomMaine; 01-07-2013 at 08:02 AM. Reason: generational
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook