SailNet Community - View Single Post - A family day... what do sailors do?
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: A family day... what do sailors do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
To the OP: Try not to be disappointed if, when the grandkids start to develop social calendars (the 9 YO is almost there!), they decide that trips on the grandparents' boat doesn't fit in. My niece and nephew each took the boating safety course, I was all excited about the trips we'd take and we did go sailing a few times, they crewed on a sail club race. Then they couldn't squeeze me in for a few years until I became cool again.
Donnas right here. You arent as cool as their friends so bring them. Our club as a 2 week Sailfleet camp for kids from 6-17, and its a great experience for them. The memebrs in turn get out there and run it with them. It actually has created some future sailors.

Also where you keep your boat as Tim said is so very important if its your kids to give them time off the boat in a play environement. We have a pool and lots of play room at our club. For kids of any ange to be confined on a boat for 8 hours can be a bit much and they will also drive you crazy.

Its important to take tons of pictures also ( let them take some too) and after the season in the winter sit around as a family and look at them. It brings back memories and when you kids tell you what they remember it will give you a clue as to what they value about it. It is very enlightening as well as actually heartwarming to hear their rememberence of experiences 15 years ago.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook