SailNet Community - View Single Post - The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013

ChristinaM is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctl411 View Post
Stop paying your taxes and see if you "own" it.
Depending on the jurisdiction, all you have to do is be in a area that's need for expanding an airport or running a new highway. They might choose to pay you for it but often they don't have to or they get to define "fair market value". Still, the government's claim doesn't mean you're not better off without a bank involved.

Even beach cats are getting harder to own. Where do you keep it? I've had mine in 2 clubs: 1 was reasonably priced but really too small of a lake for a cat and you can walk across it by August some years. The other just keeps ratcheting up the prices with all of the benefits going to the adjacent marina. It'll cost more than buying an old Hobie 16 every second year soon. I'm lucky enough to have a house but, like with most affordable houses built in the last decade or two, I can't legitimately keep a cat on the front lawn and it's physically impossible to get the trailer into the backyard. Cottage prices are prohibitive so that's not an option unless you pick your parents well. If I store it at a storage facility (also not cheap) and use public ramps, I'll find that half of them have powerlines or trees running right over them. Sure, people who really want to will still find a way but what about people who would've gotten hooked on sailing if they could try it out a little more? You can work around any one of these things but how do you get motivated to do so in the first place?