SailNet Community - View Single Post - The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

wolfenzee: people can own their houses outright or pay a mortgage, just like they can own their boats outright or pay a loan.

I'm 38 which probably doesn't make me count as "young" from the point of view of this thread. However at least half of the friends that I sail with have owned their own boat in their 20s. The ones who own their boats are generally sailing multiple times per month too. A lot of them have well paying jobs, but not all of them do.

There are ways for those who don't have a lot of money to get into sailing, they just don't involve buying their own boats. Students at UW in Seattle can join the sailing club for a very low price and get access to a decent fleet and instruction. Non-students can take sailing classes at CWB and then volunteer to get more free sailing time. Rental here through an outfit like Windworks is a lot cheaper than even moorage if you are only sailing one or two full days per month. I like owning my own boat because I enjoy working on it myself and like being able to take it for long cruises, but if I look at it objectively I see it as a waste of money.

Reading through a few pages of this thread shows all of the worst of sailnet: lots of assumptions, stereotypes, and incorrect information.