SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dehumidifier in wet/rain PNW?
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Dehumidifier in wet/rain PNW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philzy3985 View Post
..Guess I feel ripped off then. When I walk into a boat store and ask to see their dehumidifiers and they sell me heaters that suck in air, "dry" it, and blow it out. Shucks. Gift card money poorly used.

I have a couple of the "No Damp" buckets, they get moisture that's for sure. The warning label about it tipping over is a little scary.

There ARE small dehumidifiers.. they use peltier cells to cool a plate, the air is blown across the plate, moisture condenses and 'drier' air exhausts. A small, inefficient refrigeration dryer. If your unit has a reservoir that you need to empty periodically it is a dehumidifier. If it just warms the air then, well, it's not. The reality of course is that warmer air will hold/keep more moisture suspended in it...

We are using a Sears unit with a 20 pint reservoir. It's about 20" tall, weighs about 15 lbs or so.. maybe more. It goes in the car while we're sailing, but lives aboard exc for summer.

One other thing.. ours will restart after a power failure on its own.. some won't.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook