SailNet Community - View Single Post - The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Hi,

I guess that what really is important is sailing not cruising.

For cruising, except on holidays and that means 30 days a year more some week ends, it will only be possible when someone retires from work and that means older people.

In what regards sailing the numbers of sailors are growing in Europe. For instance in England between 2005/2006 and 2007/2008 it was register a 22% increase. In France the number of sportive licences between 2004 and 2007 increased every year.

Paulo
This has been a great thread to hear from people sailing around the world, real observations, not assumptions.

I know sailing is alive and well on the coast of New England but it sounds like it's doing even better in other areas.

This complaint that sailing is in trouble due to the latest generation(s) is ludicris but common on the internet and is heard from a few in every generation as it ages.

Cruising may increase here in the states but it could be different than what the classic idea was say, 30 years ago(a new style of voyaging then). It will be interesting to see what happens there. A new generation of cruisers will make their own changes.

But sailing which has been around through all the trends, never a lifestyle for all the masses and never will be, is alive and well as always.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook